Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Five Facts: Masahiro Tanaka

I've posted five facts about Ellsbury and Betances. This time is about Masahiro Tanaka, also courtesy of YES Network.



1. Masahiro Tanaka's first position: Catcher.
Kenley Jansen of the Dodgers is the first one came across my mind. I googled around and found few more players such as Chris Hatcher (Marlins) who actually debuted in the Major League as a catcher, Art Doll who did the same in the 1930s, and a prospect for the Royals Kenny Swab. To get the complete list, I tried Play Index from the baseball-reference, and there were 72 players who played at least one game as a pitcher and one game as a catcher. In most cases, it was like J.P. Arencibia who made just one relief appearance. I made at least three games at each position and got 11, Drew Butera and Chris Hatcher were the only two since 1947.

2. He's also a pretty good fielder; 2011 - 2013 Gold Glove winner in Japan.
Two pitchers win the Gold Glove every year (one per each league) and a list of winners contains familar names: Yu Darvish won in 2007 and 2008, Hiroki Kuroda won in 2005, Koji Uehara won in 1999 and 2003, Kenshin Kawakami who used to pitch for the Braves won in 2004, 2006, and 2007. Daisuke Matsuzaka won 7 times; 1999 - 2001, 2003 - 2006.

3. He is a huge fan of Momoiro Clover Z.
I have absolutely no idea who that is, but I know their song "my dear fellow" is Tanaka's warm-up song.

4. His nickname in Japan: Ma-kun.
I don't think it means anything much other than Mr. Ma (from Masahiro.)

5. He and his wife got married in Hawaii.
I know his wife was an actress (not sure if she still is.) I've never been to Hawaii but I bet it's an amazing place.

No comments:

Post a Comment