Saturday, November 8, 2014

Rivera Avenue

I was in the city today and I had to come back to the west side in order to take a train home. It was a bit cold to walk, so I chose to take a different route; far, far from the shortest path. I took the 6 up from 68th to 161st then took the B (or D, I forgot) to 34th, a couple of blocks away from the Penn Station.

If you're a Yankee fan, you would know there's the Yankee Stadium on the 161st street. I could have switched to B or D while staying underground (with no extra charge) but I decided to come out because I wanted to see something: Rivera Avenue sign.

I saw streets named after Stan Musial, Edgar Martinez, Pete Rose and I am sure there are many more places named after baseball players; Baseball-reference even has this page. But I've never seen the sign of Rivera Avenue until today. They renamed River Avenue to Rivera Avenue this May, and I think it was a very classy move by the Yankees.



This is the street. I was expecting not so many people for this time of the year, but there were a lot of people (it's hard to see from the picture, though) because there was a football game between UConn and Army that I did not know of.



And here it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment